If you're a dreamer, a wisher, a liar
A hoper, a prayer, a magic-bean buyer
If you're a pretender come sit by my fire
For we have some flax-golden tales to spin
Come in...come in...
~Shel Silverstein

Saturday, September 29, 2012

PONY FEST 2012

I am super-glad I started a blog, just so I could enter Rebecca Enzor's Pony Fest. haha. Fair warning before you read any further. My daughter, Kassidy, and I had a ton of fun with this contest, but it's possible we got a wee bit carried away. We worked on our pony for a couple days. I must give Kassi the credit for drawing Pony Cacee,  but I helped paint everything.

Although everyone on my blog knows about my book, "AGAINST THE FALLING MOONS" I actually entered a pony from my original manuscript, "SKIPPING TIME."

Book description:

When Cacee and her best friend, Jess,  somehow fall through a painting that skips them from the mountains of North Carolina to the bowels of New York City—and sixteen years into the past—Cacee discovers that Jess is far from the “straight A Eagle Scout” he’s pretended to be. Instead, he’s a street-smart delinquent who picks pockets and wins knife fights with equal aplomb. As Cacee and Jess struggle to stay alive long enough to return to their own time, she must decide if a thief and a liar can be trusted with the biggest thing he’s ever stolen—her heart.




Throughout Skipping Time, Jess and Cacee  continuously encounter a painting called, "The Hollow." It's a picture of a enchanted glade with a Magnolia tree. Because of this, we decided Pony Cacee should be in "The Hollow."

We painted her pearly white, because Cacee in my book has pale skin and long, dark hair she usually hides behind. Her eyes are a purplish blue.

In this close-up, you can  see the clock on Cacee. The numbers are backwards, symbolizing the fact that her and Jess travel back in time. She's wearing Jess's necklace.  She also has a slingshot on her front leg, because she's awesome with her slingshot. Her wings symbolize her "flight" through time.

One more pic here, cause I couldn't resist how her wings were shining in it. 

There is actually a scene in my book, that fit  perfectly.  If you're still reading at this point, I hope you like it. :)

This time Jess felt no pain, just the surge of his power, rising. The petals coating the ground floated upwards as the blossoms from the tree floated down. In seconds the air was thick with flowers that dipped and twirled like exotic butterflies.
 Cacee's eyes shone--twilight-blue against the ivory of her skin.  Her lips were the same shade as the Magnolia blossoms that lit in clusters throughout her dark hair. She looked like one of those old black and white photos that’s been tinted with color.
 When she smiled at him, Jess felt his heart swell.  The tree responded by shaking off another gentle snowfall of pink that landed on Cacee's shoulders and in her lap, her hair and her hands.  Sitting in the enchanted glade , clothed in flowers, she was so beautiful it hurt.
Despite all that had happened, Jess found he could still smile. “There. Now you can’t say I’ve never given you flowers.”


22 comments:

  1. She's beautiful! Wow! You guys did a great job with her :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. She's so pretty! The hair, the flowers, the backwards clock--love it all! And I love the picture you captured with her wings shimmering; that's awesome. I can imagine how fun it was to paint her. In my opinion, playing with colors is the best part. *grin*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! I vote for her. I'd love to have her as my pony.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You and your daughter did an amazing job! This pony gets my vote.

    Loved the scene you shared from your book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jackie! Glad you liked the scene. :)

      Delete
  5. Oh my gosh!! I love My Little Pony's! My 12 yr old get my pony's when I was little and now she gave them to my 3 yr old. She they just keep getting handed down. I want one with wings!! You and your daughter did a beautiful job!!! Totally get my vote!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dani. I always thought they were so cute. I love the idea of having one customized to my book. Especially since I framed the picture and I could put her in front of it. :) Kassi (my daughter) surprised me the other day with a picture of a Jess pony (Cacee's love interest in the book). She decided we should hang them together. I'll have to post a pic when he's painted. :)

      Delete
  6. Cute! You know I have a friend who custom designs MLPs. Her ponies are works of art.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, what a neat thing to do! Does she have a website? I'd love to show Kass!

      Delete
    2. I'd love to see it too, and feature her ponies on my blog if she'll allow it :)

      Delete
  7. So pretty! Love the wings. :)

    She gets my vote!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sus! Yeah, the wings are my fave part. :)

      Delete
  8. You have my vote! I commented on this last week and it appears my comment was eaten! Drats! Let's hope this one sticks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kar! I'll email you soon. I'm in PA at my nephew's wedding. :)

      Delete

I love to hear from everyone! Thanks for the comment. :)